If you’re looking for a deliciously balanced meal to fuel your day, and love the idea of a strawberry shake, you’ll enjoy this strawberry yogurt chia smoothie.
The Beauty of Balancing Macros
As an integrative wellness expert and food scientist, I create all my recipes with balanced macronutrients–the perfect combination if lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. Balanced macro’s digest and metabolize slowly, evening out your blood sugar so you’ll stay fuller, longer, avoid cravings and that sleepy afternoon crash.
Why Greek Yogurt?
Greek yogurt is healthier than most yogurts, simply because you can find it without added sugars. Greek Yogurt has the highest grams of protein per serving as compared to other varieties. and I always buy non-fat, (0% fat) so I can add in healthier fat options that are high in Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Omega-3’s are found in flaxseed meal, avocados, avocado oil and extra virgin olive oils. This helps lower your LDL and boost your healthy fats (HDL). Chia seeds are high in fiber and a great detoxifier. Overall, there are some great nutrients that can help you stay at the top of your game.
How to Make Life Easy:
- Make this smoothie the night before, just add ice and blend it in the morning.
- Drink it during your commute to work.
- Enjoy half for a pre-workout meal and the other half post workout.
- Freeze it into pops for a treat.
- Add a multi-vitamin boost (yes, an enormous vitamin will get pulverized in your blender and you’ll never know it’s there)
- Have it for an anytime meal. Smoothies are not just for breakfast anymore.
- Pssst! Hide a fist-full of leafy greens to bump up the nutrients. The family will never know!
What to Buy:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, plain, no added sugars
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (retain a couple for garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons natural, non-caloric sweetener (like MonkSweet+)
- 1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla
- 1 scoop Collagen Peptides (optional)
- 6 ice cubes
What to Do:
- Pour almond milk into blender.
- Add strawberries, yogurt, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, sweetener and ice cubes.
- Blend on medium-high until smooth.
- Add protein powder.
- Blend just until incorporated to avoid heavy frothing.
- Pour into a decorative glass and garnish with sliced strawberries.
What’s in it for You:
If you liked this strawberry yogurt chia smoothie, you might also enjoy My Favorite Berry-Green Anti-Oxidant Protein Smoothie