Muffins should not be confused with cake! Unlike traditional muffins, these are made with Toni’s Protein Baking Mix. What makes them deliciously healthy is they have balanced macros; the perfect combination of lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats. They help balance your blood sugar because they metabolize slowly, keeping you full and fueled for hours.
All Toni’s Baking Mixes are made in our commercial kitchen, with 100% fresh-ground whole oats, and no added sugars.
Muffins may tend to stick to tradinonal paper cups, so I use environmentally-friendly IF YOU CARE parchment liners. The muffins come out so easily. I typically make a double batch, and freeze them in baggies. It’s easy to grab a couple out of the freezer and let them thaw as you go about your day. Always give yourself a healthy option.
What to buy:
- 1 Pouch Toni’s Protein Baking Mix (Cranberry Orange Walnut Flavor)
- 2 large eggs, or 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado, coconut or almond oil preferred)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh, grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon orange or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- Walnut pieces, to top
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line muffin tins with parchment liner cups.
- Pour entire contents of baking mix into a medium mixing bowl.
- In seperate bowl, combine egg, oil and water, plus any optional ingredients and mix well.
- Add wet mixture into dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Allow to sit for two minutes to thicken. The fruit and nuts should be able to be “suspended” and sink to the bottom.
- Give it a quick stir, then using a levered ice cream scoop, place equal portions into muffin cups.
- Optionally garnish with 3 small pieces of chopped walnuts each.
- Bake at 350 for about 17 min – or until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Remove the muffins just a few minutes from being completely cooked through. They will continue to bake after being removed from the oven.
- Remove muffins and place on cooling rack.
Nutrition Information (per muffin–if using egg whites)
- Calories 110
- Total Fat 2.5g
- Saturated Fat .3g
- Cholesterol: <5mg
- Sodium 135mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Total Sugars 5g
- Added Sugars 0g
- Protein 10g
From my heart to yours,