I so enjoy making this every Thanksgiving to accompany our beautiful roasted turkey. I designed this recipe to pack in all the nutrition, but without all the empty and damaging sugar calories. I use a blend of allulose (pre-biotic fiber), monkfruit and stevia in a syrup form that makes a delicious base with only 1/4 the calories.
Cranberries are considered a superfood; high in antioxidants and rich in nutrients believed to help reduce the risk of UTIs (Urinary Tract Infection). The acidic compounds work to prohibit bacteria attaching to the bladder wall. If that’s not enough on its own, it’s delicious and something the entire family will enjoy.
Just don’t let them know it’s only 25 calories per serving. That will be between us 😉
WHAT TO BUY:
- 2 bags (12 oz each) fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup fresh orange peel, coarsely grated
- ¾ cup natural, sugar-free syrup (monk fruit, stevia and allulose liquid or equivalent)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
WHAT TO DO:
- In a saucepan, combine the water and syrup. Bring to boil.
- Add fresh cranberries, reduce heat to and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add orange juice, orange peel and spices and allow to infuse on low heat.
- To adjust the sauce, simmer longer until desired consistency.